Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 2 2011 - That 'Nature' Thing

Sitting on the Long Meadow in Prospect Park at the tail end of a 7-hour extravaganza of greenery, food, drinks and overlapping circles of friends I breathed deeply of summer air that actually smelled, to me, like summer. The smell of leaves and warm grass; a contrast to the overheated concrete and car exhaust that's the New York norm. I get lost pretty much 100% of the time I go to this park and this day was no exception with my exit taking an even more roundabout, circuitous path than my entrance. As I walked through the paths in the late evening stumbling upon random clearings and piece of mind I caught myself thinking that, with frequent enough visits, the stillness and calm in this park could possibly be enough to balance the chaos that is the rest of this city.


Later that night I saw Bridesmaids and laughed a lot.

2 comments:

  1. One of my buddies (grew up here in Minnesota, moved to NY as soon as she was able to) was at a concert recently where there was a patch of grass. She then decided that the patch of grass needed to be rolled around in RIGHT AWAY. And then everyone started looking at her funny. She called me later and said, "I think I have to come home and visit soon".

    We have excellent green areas in MN. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's weird - in my daily life I generally think I'm getting on normally but then every time I get to set bare foot on grass I feel like I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding.

    This park is nice because, while it's technically against the rules, nobody really cares if you bring booze as long as you clean up after yourself.

    ReplyDelete