Friday, March 6, 2009

Seeing the Signs of Music Nostalgia

I was reflecting, this morning, on the VH1 "I Love the (insert decade)" shows - based on a British series - that gained prominence in 2002-2003 with the release of"I Love the 80s". The miniseries' were widely popular, dedicating an hour to each year of the decade and waxing nostalgic about the foibles of those heady times. The show was so popular, in fact, that it spawned editions for other recent decades. "I Love the 70s" was almost equally beloved, however it was generally agreed upon that the string of shows jumped the shark when it tried to look back fondly in "I Love the 90s".

At that point the 90s were only roughly 4 years past and not enough time had passed to truly build up some rose colored glasses about the lamer aspects of the decade.

This got me thinking, though, about the phenomenon of "80s Night". Around the early 00s I began to notice clubs advertising - usually on some mid-week night or a Sunday - drink specials and a DJ set list comprised solely of songs no younger than 20 years old. The synth-heavy, hook-laden, hairspray-solidified grooves of 80s pop had returned and legions of 20-somethings packed dance floors to boogie down to the sounds of Ah-Ha, Flock of Seagulls, Depeche Mode, etc... While those that had originally busted a move to these swaying, robotic tunes were likely working late at the office or tucking in children, a new generation rediscovered the tunes that had served as the background for their young lives.

As my train of thought barreled forward I pondered how long it would be before I'd walk down a street only to be serenaded by the sweet sounds of Ace of Base or Jodeci seeping out of a crowded dance club. Are we three or four years away from once again trying to decipher the lyrics to "Blue" and contemplating the narcissism of "Mr. Vain"?

I feel like I should be terrified at the concept. And yet it sounds disturbingly fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment